Wednesday, February 06, 2008

The Persistence of Loneliness (American Sonnet)

i walk to get my lunch
drawing up contingency plans

in case i get mugged from behind
or a meteor strikes

in case someone says hello to me
or an old stranger has a heart attack

in case i am bit by a radioactive spider and gain superpowers
or the economy goes into depression and i lose everything

in case jesus returns
or my house catches fire while i am naked

in case someone cuts my brake lines
or puts sugar in my gas tank while i am outrunning corrupt police

i see it all
and i intend to be prepared

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do that too. One of these days, I'm going to get it right exactly when it happens.

katrocket said...

Were you a boy scout?

I really like this sonnet.

steakbellie said...

Eagle Scout, just like Mr Radloff. Yeah, yesterday was a good day for writing ideas.

Chris said...

Keep this up and you're going to get me interested in poetry, dammit.

Steve Caratzas said...

Brilliant!

MsAPhillips said...

Feeling dread
doesn't mean
crazy shit
won't happen.