Monday, February 25, 2008

In Defense of Food


I am currently reading a book by Michael Pollan called "In Defense of Food".  You may know him for writing a book called "The Omnivore's Dilemma".  This book is the right information at the right time for me.  I've been wanting to blog about this book on a daily basis, but I'm waiting a little to fully digest the information.  It's not that it's hard to understand, it's just that I am an extremely slow adapter when it comes to my lifestyle and habits.  I don't like change, and I need overwhelming evidence to make incremental moves.

Mostly this book makes me want to draw diagrams.  It doesn't have any graphics and whenever I want to retell one of the points I want to show it in an illustration.  I think I will need to write about this book in several short articles, and I will need to draw pictures.  Yes, yes.

My own theory about food & life is this:
Eat Less, Exercise More

But I am really being sold on Michael Pollan's seven words:
Eat Food, Not Too Much, Mostly Plants

It's NOT a vegetarian book, but analyzes 'The Western Diet' how it came about over the last 100 years, why Science keeps screwing up our diet further, and more! 

Much more to come…and diagrams!

3 comments:

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Hmm, may have to check this one out. I've been listening to "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle," by Barbara Kingsolver, which also talks a great deal about the evolution of (specifically) American diets. I want to quit my job and garden and can, and make my own cheese now.

Chris the Hippie said...

I don't mind veggies once in a while, as long as they're wrapped in bacon and served next to a steak.

Actually, I really enjoy a good salad. It's just easier to toss a frozen pizza in the oven than it is to make a good salad.

Leonesse said...

I am in the midst of a dietary revolution myself. I hope to get one more organic crop in before we get the hell outta here.