Friday, March 25, 2005

BullMoose, ANOTHER strange quirk, alcohol related again...

I cant believe I didnt think of this when I was listing all of the other compulsions I have.....here too

I havent drunk beer, not even a sip, not even when I was trashed, using my right hand since October 1991...almost 14 years!

I was a Junior in college, and went on a road trip from NJ with some friends to some college in New Hampshire. We were partying in some dirty wet frat basement dirnking beer out of red plastic cups when somebody inducted us into the BullMoose club. Members of the BullMoose club must drink beer with their Left Hand. (not sure what the rules are for you lefties) If another BullMoose member spots you drinking beer with your right hand, they yell out 'BullMoose' and then you have to finish your entire beer.

They invented some wacky pledge that we recited and switched our cups to our left hands. I was sent to the keg to get the next round and immediately switched back to my right.

"BULLMOOSE!!" Somebody yelled and I had to chug my entire beer. For some reason that was deeply ingrained in me at that moment. Nobody else kept the pledge after that night. I'd yell "BULLMOOSE" for months after that and they eventually just refused to chug their beers. Go Figure.

For years I drank EVERYTHING with my left hand. If I was drinking a soda and holding my son, I'd shift my son to my right hand so that I hold the soda with my left. After awhile (5 or 6 years) I realized that it was being alittle silly and loosened my obsession to only alcoholic beverages. Further in the last 3 years or so, I have relaxed the rules further to the original pledge...just beer.

So why do I continue to alter my actions on sometimes daily basis a decade later for an oath made to people I dont know who didnt even remember 20 minutes later?

Because I'm a BullMoose.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

buddy i commend your bull moose dedication. i have been a loyal bull moose member for 4 and have been faithfull for the entire time. if someone were to call bull moose on me, and i didnt even know them, i would respect it knowing they have been loyal to the club for the only reason it exists, to get the fellow members drunk; for isint that the purpose of alcohol. i was initiated in germave and have lived in the state my whole life, peopel have called me on it for years so i know im not allone. our quest should be to initeate the entire world under one drinking club in an effort to promote owrld unity. so drink on and spread the word of the largest drinking club world-wide. drink on fellow bull moose member, and for clarity the rule stands that whatever hand the person takes the oath with is the hand they can nolonger drink with. spreas it like wild fire to let the drinking begin. P.S. ive been called on bull moose twice in writing this post. DIRINK ON