Friday, March 18, 2005

All that is left

My Father's Father died when I was 4. I have no direct memory of him, but have heard many stories from my 19 cousins and their parents. It is an amazing thing the influence this man has had on my family, even 30 years after his death. He was feared and respected and is talked about like some kind of legend.

I hear stories of cruelty and of kindness that just dont seem to fit together, but isnt that just like a person? I mean really wacky stuff. (I smell another Blog entry)

I have wondered what is passed down. What traits do I have that have been given to me from him? What learned behavior did he give my father, that my father taught me?

Here are the only 2 pieces of advice that I can attribute to him...and I will try to phrase them exactly like I learned them from my Dad.

"Keep a machine lubricated and it will run forever"

"Take good care of your feet. Keep them dry, ALWAYS cut your toenails strait and never curved. Even if you are poor, spend the money to buy good shoes."

What strange information will my sons retain from me? What will they pass on?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Judging from your blog, they've learned that the world is thier toilet. Ha ha!