Thursday, January 27, 2005

Lucky to have Lucky


Lucky
Originally uploaded by steakbellie.

This is my 3 legged dog Lucky. We got him 2 years ago as a rescue. His name was originally "Buddy" but I liked the lowbrow irony of a 3 legged dog named "Lucky" He didnt seem to mind the name change and took to our family very quickly. I like him so much I'm thinking of lopping off a leg of my other dog and giving it to him.

The lady at the shelter didnt know a whole bunch of his history but their was talk of him being thrown out of a window and never taken to the hospital after his leg was broken. He's very protective of his remaining limbs and wont let anyone cut his toe-nails.

The reality is that he's damaged goods, not in his body but in his head because of his former family. I've figured out a few thing about them.
* They kept him in the basement. In 2 years Lucky has never gone into my basement even to look. I've put the other dog down there when there was company, but if you value your fingers you never force Lucky to do anything.

* The man of the house used to abuse him and the kids. Despite how well I get along with him, anytime I hug the kids he gets very uncomfortable and nervous. If anyone else approaches the kids when I'm not in the room, he will get between them and bite them.

* He used to be kicked. If I move my foot too fast when I'm near him, he'll yelp.

* He just doesnt like some people. We have a friend who is an animal lover and nice lady. The first time she walked in our house, Lucky showed his teeth and growled at her. Did the same thing for her youngest son....they must smell alike. Although he tolerates them being around, he still doesnt like them.

Through some research I'm guessing that he's a Chinook. It's a type of sled dog. In the winter he cant be outside enough. When it's snowing he loves to sit in it and watch the sky as the snow falls. 5 minutes after you let him in, he wants to go out again.

He's missing his front passenger side leg, and you'd think he'd have a hard time getting around, but he can run faster than my Chesapeke, and pulls harder on the chain than him too. His 3 remaining legs are extremely muscular and he can jump up on our high bed with ease.

Despite his overprotectiveness of this kids, he's probably the best dog I ever had. He's very sweet and loving to the family and is fairly bright. If you talk directly to him he will grumble back to you like he's trying to say something...it's a hoot!


No comments: