Wednesday, January 26, 2005

The land of our fathers


The land of our fathers
Originally uploaded by steakbellie.
This is from a trip my brother and I made to the farm my family had lived on for 200 years in Upstate New York. My great great great parents settled this land and worked the fields. Shale left over from the Glaciers keeps popping out of the ground making it difficult to farm.

My grandmother lived a town over and met my grandfather at a local swimming hole one hot day.

They are buried nearby with the rest of my ancestry. The orignial farmhouse is still there and is now the kitchen of a much bigger house that has been added to over the last 2 centuries.

My Father and his brothers would come up here every summer to stay with his Grandparents and work.

I hadnt been there for 20 years so we made a trip up last summer. We both felt like it would be the last time we ever saw the place and tried to take in as much as we possibly could.

My Uncle owns it now, and he's a complete drunken asshole, so maybe when he's dead I'll go again....but that could be a very long time...

No comments: