Monday, December 17, 2007

I wont spoil the movie for you, I promise


I am Legend.

I saw it yesterday.

My wife and sons treated me to a movie and dinner to celebrate my birfday. I've survived 37 complete rotations around the sun...why not have a burrito?

It was good....but the draw for me was something I've been mentally chewing on my entire life. The movie shows scenes of NYC a few years after a plague has killed everyone. I've always been fascinated by the deconstruction of man's accomplishments by nature. One of the scenes that the movie commercials showed Will Smith Hunting in Times Square for Deer. The asphalt has cracked and given away to tall grasses. THAT's the scene that drew me in. Somehow it's comforting to know that nature will recover, even if we screw ourselves. Why did that scene draw me in? Here's something I wrote a year and a half ago

Temporary Permanence

This summer a book was released called 'The World Without Us' and it documents what would happen to our world, (cities, forests, buildings, houses, subway systems, nuclear bombs, paintings, if all of humanity just disappeared. They follow our stuff for weeks, months, years, decades and then Millenia to see what made it. They give specifics on NYC. I'm so in love with NYC and am just drawn in when people discuss it's past and future.

I've read two reviews of the book, and heard two separate interviews with the author but am too cheap to buy the damn thing in hardback. Go Figure.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go buy it already.

Dave S. said...

I saw Legend too. I LOVE zombies AND apocalyptic last-man-on-earth themes, so I was really ready to love this movie. It just okay for me though.

Happy birthday, by the way.

Leonesse said...

Oh, please let it be as good as I want it to be. I loved Omega Man. Love The Stand in book form. I, too, love the post-apocalyptic type movies and wonder what the world would be like. Here I see blackberry briars take over abandoned houses. It really doesn't take very long.

Leonesse said...

Oh, and Happy Birthday!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday you old fart!

CoffeeDog said...

The World Without Us was good, but I found that it strayed away from the end of the world theme that first captured my attention. It fascinates me to think of the end of the world, what it would be like. I can't wait to see this movie. And, you could check World w/o Us from the library, that's what I did because I am cheap.

Happy belated birfday.

Oh I am also fascinated with NYC too. Ever see the website Forgotten-NY.com? Go check it out!