Friday, June 08, 2007

how to get hooked


The Kid Can Run
Originally uploaded by steakbellie.
The worst thing that can happen to rational person on their first trip to Atlantic City, is that they win. Even if it's $5, they are ruined for life and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars trying to recreate the adrenaline of that moment. You will never match the excitment of your first kiss.

Last week my 13 year old ran in a 5K run that went through my neighborhood. He's in excellent shape and runs and does pushups and situps on his own. He placed 1st for 14 and unders and won a watch and a gift card for the movies. (22:33) He came home and immediatley signed up for another 5K. I see the excitement in his eyes when he talks about it and I'm sure that the boy is hooked for life. I'm grateful it's not Gambling or Competitive Eating.

Tonight is the race, and he's upset that he couldnt train all week, because well, he's the one who smashed his head a few days ago. The Doc gave the all clear and I doubt I could keep him back anyway.

If he wins will the victory be as sweet?

I'm running too but will probably finish long after him. Probably a week later. I can run far, but am famously slow and particular 5K is unique in that only .1 miles is flat the rest is hills....ughhh....also on the news this morning was a heat advisory to stay indoors today and avoid strenuous excercise.

We've proved many ways to be hard-headed this week.

4 comments:

Dave S. said...

That's awesome. That's gotta be a great feeling to watch your kid get hooked on something healthly like that...either physically, mentally, or spiritually healthy.

d.K. said...

Good for him!

SkippyMom said...

Bravo! What a great sport and "habit" [hooked?] for him.

I can't wait to see how he does! Tell him we are all cheering him on.

Have you bought the poor boy a "pool helmet" yet, tho? kidding, kidding, kidding.....they don't exist....really.

Unknown said...

You are not slow...your a patient runner