Wednesday, May 02, 2007

How I lost money in the Market


TEN
Originally uploaded by steakbellie.
Horrible Horrible Day
Things broke. Things that I thought were fixed, apparently were not. Problems on every project front, and emotional people wanting answers.

At lunch I went for a quick walk down Market St to ease my mind. The wind was wiping about in funny directions between the tall office buildings. I reached into my shirt pocket to get my ipod, and a folded ten dollar bill fell out.

What was curious was that it never fell down...it fell up 6 feet fluttering out of my reach. A man sweeping the sidewalk watched me jump to catch it. The Ten Dollar Bill Fluttered out over the six lanes of traffic and continued to rise. I tried to anticipate where it might start to fall.

It was EXACTLY like when you're a kid and you let go of a balloon. There's just nothing you can do but wish you had grabbed the string. Within 60 seconds it was so high that it was becoming difficult to see. At this point it dropped onto the roof of the 8-story Philadelphia Stock Exchange.

I looked around me to see if anyone else had seen this fantastic event. The guy with the broom said simply "Guess you werent meant to have it."

Best thing that happened to me all day.

9 comments:

Leonesse said...

I truly hope that $10 bill flies off that roof right into the hands of someone who desperately needs it.

At least that is how I am going to look at it.

Who knows, you may have just fed a homeless family.

Anonymous said...

Wow, crazy story! You certainly made someone's day.

Wendy said...

I can totally picture it!

steakbellie said...

It was the only money I had, but I couldnt help but smile about the stupid thing. EIGHT STORIES!!!

Anonymous said...

My money magnet works.....(cue evil laugh).

Dave S. said...

Was that your lunch money? If so, this is truly a sad, sad story.

d.K. said...

Very cool. Was it warm out? Warm and windy is wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I found your $10 (as noted by the steakbellie insignia below the picture). Thanks! Because of you I was able to buy a vial of crack for both me and my 12 year old daughter.

I am, however, homeless which makes what you did a good thing.

Dave S. said...

Awww, a happy ending!