Friday, November 18, 2005

The Dance

I just picked up my 11 year old, C@leb from his first dance in 6th Grade.
"How was the dance?"
"Fine"
"Dance with any girls?"
(he gives me a mortified dirty stare....dont go there Dad)

My first dance was in 7th grade in the school gym. There was girl Nicole in my homeroom that I wanted to ask, but was scared to even look at her. She was almost as tall as me and had short brown hair. She had the longest neck ever measured, which got even longer because she wore these V-Neck sweaters. She looked like an osterich (but in a good way) ha!

I never asked her and I dont think she went with someone else. I just remember a month of homerooms trying to get the guts to talk to her and the bell ringing to go to first period.

Some of my friends drank peach schnapps in the parking lot, threw up and got caught by the principal. Another friend of mine wore an earing and got kicked out.

I left my painted Iron Maiden jacket at home and wore:
Grey Parachute Pants
A Grey and White striped button up shirt
A skinny black leather tie
Black Capeseo's

My hair was all wacked out because I was growing out a mohawk that I had gotten that summer, and I had one of those 'rat-tails' in the back. (it was dyed blonde)

Amazingly all of the things I was wearing were actually 'in' at the time, but didnt seem to do much good for me.

I danced with a bunch of girls,( in that I danced in acrowd of like 12 girls), but never asked this chick to dance I was frozen whenever she was near...i must have been the only boy on the dance floor as the girls danced in the fog machine and the boys punched each other in their shoulders on the bleachers.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

16 candles. rent it, i lived it.
Chams, Sergios with my bottom cuffs rolled up and 'glow in the dark' white Nike sneakers. Let's not forget to mention my ' too hip for mom' glasses that turned into shades in the sun.

I vaguely remember all the Spanish kids custom painting their jean jackets with really slick graffitti art. Each was adorned with tough street names like...Kid Fresh...Kid Funk, etc. My buddy, who died way too young, went out and grabbed a similar jacket and showed up at a dance on one notorious night sporting a 'Kid Gazelle' jacket.
I think the night ended in some weird White Kids vs. Puerto Rican Kids Dance Off ala Jets Vs. Sharks.

ahh the eighties...

It's the "Last Call" said...

Oh wow... I think I was at that dance. and I was too scared to ask you to dance cos your parachute pants were entirely too cool for school.
Didn't you see me over there in the corner in my skin-tight Jordache jeans and Izod shirt? I'm sure I had a chick mullet. :)

d.K. said...

Wow, this post brought back memories - 7th grade. Oh, the pain...