Friday, December 05, 2008

Making Unemployment Look Sexy

So the last few months have been somewhat hard on me. Business at work has been spiraling down and the tension within the hallways (and in my chest) has been spiraling up. A large part of the work done there is Hiring Services for other companies Nationwide (think background checks & drug tests). If nobody is hiring then there is little to do. It's been eating at me and I responded by stopping running and stopping sleeping.

Monday came and the announcement that WingBowl would ban all pro-eaters this year. (more on that later)

Tuesday I was laid off.

Wednesday I woke up with nowhere to go.

Surprisingly, I feel a little less stress now that I've been laid off. I couldn't control that event, but I can completely control my own job search. Currently I am looking for Full time work as a Graphic Artist or Interface/Web Designer. In the meantime I am looking to pick up as much Freelance Work as possible, as I once worked Freelance for 3 years straight without getting divorced.

If you would like to see some of what I do, check out:
http://www.livingstonvisual.com
My resume is located at the top of the that screen.
The website needs to be updated with my latest projects but the resume is current.

I design logos, build websites, flash animations, brochures and can truthfully say I am an 'Award-Winning' Illustrator for some of my 3-D Renderings. During the 2001 recession I did pretty well as a lot of companies dropped their Agencies and hired me to do their work (since I was the one doing their work via the Agencies anyway)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Grand Canyon gap
Narrows if you come and go
Got laid or laid off

CoffeeDog said...

wow sorry to hear this, hope something comes your way soon.

SuperPaulBonebreakerBigMouthBarlow said...

Same thing happened to me last year - I'm working, but still looking for a "real" job. Keep your head up, we are all in the same boat, bailing as fast as we can! SPBBBMB

Dave S. said...

If you don't mind commuting to Harrisburg (that new fast train can get you here in no time), the ad agency I work for (www.pavone.net) is always looking for new additions to it's web department. In fact, we just lost a web guy/designer last week, so I KNOW we're looking for a replacement.

Melissa said...

I work in the print and media industry - mostly printers, but some ad agencies as well. If you don't mind, I'm going to circulate your resume.

I hope something happens soon for you!

MsAPhillips said...

http://www.happycog.com/about/


These people seem nice, and are in Philly. Just a thought.

Sorry to hear about the job.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, man. I'll keep your website handy for sure. Every once in a blue moon I get a customer who actually wants us to handle web design for them in addition to shopping cart functionality and logistics. Not likely in this climate, but if anyone comes sniffing around for services in this general milieu, I'll be sure to have your information close at hand.

ginger b said...

right before Christmas...WTF!

that puts anger in my heart

Chris the Hippie said...

DOOD! I just read your blog... Man, that sucks! Man...

Leonesse said...

The reason I hadn't been blogging? That stuff x4 months. Not a fun ride and I still haven't been able to blog about it. I can only just now stick my head outta the hole.

My wv: prods

i.e. Keep going. You will survive.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there buddy . My sister just lost her job in advertising a few weeks ago. You are one of the good guys in this not so great world we live in. I will do everything i can to try to get the wheels rolling for you