Thursday, February 16, 2006

Lets bitch some more...Olympic Style

My son had to watch an Olympic Event as an assignment for school. We watched NBC's coverage for over an hour and never actually saw a single event. Here's the problem: Too much backstory. I KNOW they had events going on all day, so show one of THOSE.

The talking heads they use smile too much. I mean like OVERSMILE. It makes me want to hurt them. They have Phopshop white teeth.....go drink some coffee please.

Here's what bothers me the most. Everbody calls it the Turin Olympics. Everybody but NBC that is. They say 'Torino'. Now they are similar words but I didnt want to be the dumb American that just assumed it was the same. I thought maybe the Olympics are in Turin, but the closest ski hill is in nearby Torino? Not a stretch. Finally during one of the Vingettes they show the Shroud of Turin, and I can put the two together.

I'm sure some VP at NBC thought he was being super-clever by using the Italian name, instead of the one we had most likely heard of. Like their network is 'in the know' because they use and overuse that name. That same asshole should just have the whole goddamn broadcast in Italian while he's at it. These idiots are killing me in English. I'll bet he has white teeth too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I think most of the world knows Torino by it's Italian name. Just like New York is New York and London is London. Sure there is bound to be localization; however, since the Olympics are theoretically a global tournament it makes complete sense to refer to the place as the host country refers to it.

All over New York, all of the Olympic billboards, bus signs, taxi ads, subway ads and the like all say Torino.

steakbellie said...

with an NBC logo at the bottom.

They call it 'Roma' in Italy but here it's 'Rome' but even that a big dummy like me could figure out.......

Who ever heard of the Shroud of Torino?

Anonymous said...

Millions of Catholic Italians.

steakbellie said...

you're extra frisky these last couple of days!